Papaya fruit, also known as Carica papaya, is an exotic fruit which originates from Mexico and it is known for its sweet and musky taste and a butter-like texture. It also has a unique flavor, as well as enormous health benefits and this is why it has been consumed frequently for centuries. The fruit has a spherical shape, similar to a pear, and it can be found throughout the whole year.
The Nutritive Value of Papaya
- Abundant in vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, and carotenes
- Beneficial against heart problems, hypertension, cancer, and digestive problems
What you may not have known by now is that the papaya seeds also carry some pretty amazing characteristics too and you should therefore consume them, not throw them away and eat the flesh only! If you are still having doubts about whether to start eating the seeds or not, make sure you check out the list below!
The Best Health Advantages of Eating Papaya Seeds
- Keep the liver safe
The seeds of papaya contain nutrients that can detoxify the liver from toxins and enhance its body-detox properties. They are also highly recommendable for people suffering from cirrhosis (blend 5 papaya seeds and a tbsp of lime juice and consume the mixture for a period of one month).
- Protects the kidneys
Juice from papaya seeds contains flavonoids and phenolics and this is highly beneficial for the kidney function and the prevention of renal failure.
- Balance the blood pressure
Carpaine, a compound in papaya, is known to regulate the diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
- It plays the role of a natural contraceptive
Consuming one tbsp of papaya seeds prior to intercourse can lower the sperm production without having a negative impact on one’s libido.
- Better the digestion
The proteolytic enzymes in papaya seeds are known to detoxify the whole body and enhance the digestive processes.
- Help in the elimination of worms and parasites
The seeds of papaya contain papain, a proteolytic enzyme, know to remove intestinal parasites, their eggs, and dissolve undigested protein waste.
- Averts damage from free radicals
Papaya seeds are abundant in antioxidants, as well as phenolic acid and flavonoid compounds, which are known to lower the chance for free radical damage. Hence, papaya seeds have the power to impede the growth of abnormal cancerous cells and tumors.
- Alleviate inflammation
The anti-inflammatory properties of papaya seeds are great in reducing joint ache caused by gout, asthma, and arthritis.
- Fights of viruses and bad bacteria
Did you know that one tbsp of papaya seeds is highly effective in fighting off infections and bad bacteria like Salmonella and E. coli?
How to Use Papaya Seeds
- You can scoop them from the fruit and eat them raw and together with the fruit
- You can pound them with a mortar and pestle and keep the powder in the fridge for no longer than one week
- You can dry them and then grind them. Use the ground mixture to add it to smoothies, stews, soups, salads, etc. One to two tbsp per day will suffice
Important to note:
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not consume papaya seeds
- Children should not be given papaya seeds