As explained on Real Farmacy, asthma is an illness characterized by an inflammation of the airways which supply the lungs with air. When the airways are inflamed, they become much more sensitive and the breathing becomes more difficult.
Some of the major asthma signs are problems with the breathing, coughing, wheezing, and chest tightness. Although there is still no cure for asthma, doctors always try to identify the triggering factors of asthmatic attacks and advise their patients to avoid them as much as possible.
Some of the conventional treatment for asthma includes inhalers which can immediately alleviate an asthmatic attack. When it comes to what natural medicine can do for asthmatic individuals, it is of great aid to know that aromatherapy with specific essential oils can significantly lower the chance for asthma attacks.
Let us find out more about these oils below…
5 Top Anti-Asthma Essential Oils
- Lavender- it possesses sedative and anti-inflammatory properties which are highly beneficial for asthma management. Just put several lavender drops in your diffuser, along with peppermint or eucalyptus, and inhale the aroma to alleviate mild asthma attacks.
- Peppermint- the antihistamine and decongestant capacity of this amazing oil can be of great help in lowering the severity of the attacks. Since being exposed to allergens causes the body to release histamines and trigger an attack, peppermint can be useful because it impedes the secretion of histamine in the body. Rub the chest twice per day with a mixture of 2 drops of peppermint oil, 8 drops of lavender, and 20 drops of some carrier oil.
- Eucalyptus– this oil has a strong smell which is helpful in unclogging the airways. The eucalyptol found in it will dissolve accumulated phlegm and mucus and ease the breathing. Mix several drops of the oil with some hot water and then inhale the steam coming out of it to relax lung spasms and decongest the airways.
- Thyme- this oil will strengthen your immunity and respiratory system because it possesses antibacterial, antiseptic, and expectorant characteristics and it is potent enough in reliving asthma symptoms like colds and coughing. Mix it with some bergamot oil and use the mixture to massage the chest. You can also add several drops of it in hot water and inhale the steam.
- Frankincense- the anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties of this oil will decongest the lungs and nasal passages and alleviate confusion, stress, and anxiety. You can put several drops in your diffuser or rub it onto the chest.
- Make sure the scent of the essential oil you are going to use does not cause asthma attacks
- Opt for therapeutic grade oils only because they are the safest ones
- Test a small amount of the oil on a small part of the skin first; if you happen to have a reaction to it, dilute it with a carrier oil or opt for another one
- Always consult experts and your physician before you start using essential oils as therapy for your asthma