Who does not love sweet potatoes, right? We enjoy consuming them for their creamy texture and sweet-spicy flavor and of course, because of their amazing health benefits. They are abundant in nutrients and need to be a part of everyone’s diet. What’s more, they are easily affordable and you can prepare them in so many different ways and combine them with so many different foods. Amazing!
Buying & Storing Sweet Potatoes
When heading the farmer’s market to purchase sweet potatoes, you need to pay attention to several important details. Look for the ones that are firm and without cracks, bruises, and soft spots. And, make sure you do not buy the ones that are stored and kept in refrigerated aisles since cold temperatures can make changes in the taste of the potatoes. This being said, always keep them in a cool and dark area, never in the fridge. Use them within 10 days or so, when they are the most fresh.
The Amazing Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Abundant in vitamin B6 which can lower the level of homocysteine in the body. This chemical has been connected with heart attacks and degenerative illnesses
- Rich in vitamin C which is pivotal for healthy bones, proper digestion, and blood cell formation; it can also strengthen the immunity and it is a known antioxidant that can decrease the damage caused by free radicals
- They also have beta-carotene, potassium, iron, and magnesium that can minimize stress and strengthen the immunity; magnesium is good for the heart
- The vitamin A in sweet potatoes plays an antioxidant role which is crucial for a strong immunity and good eyesight
- The nutrients and vitamins in sweet potatoes help keep the blood sugar levels regulated
Recipe for Sweet Potato Juice
This homemade juice is one of the numerous ways in which you can introduce this veggie to your daily diet. You can drink it for breakfast or as a snack.
You will need:
2 organic sweet potatoes
4 ribs of celery
A pinch of cinnamon
A bit of water
Preparation: Put all of the ingredients in a blender, except the cinnamon, and blend them for several minutes until you get a homogeneous mixture. Transfer the content into a glass and sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Enjoy!