Stomach flu or gastroenteritis is an infection of the intestines and stomach. Although we usually refer to it as the flu, it is not the same as influenza. Namely, influenza does not necessarily affect the GI tract and most of the influenza symptoms happen in the respiratory tract.
In most cases, the stomach flu is triggered by viruses; however, bacteria and parasites can also cause them. Remember, food poisoning and stomach flu are not one and the same. Namely, there are a lot of food poisonings that are not infectious.
Though they share a lot of same symptoms, food poisoning comes on rather fast after consuming contaminated food and goes away within hours or days. On the other hand, stomach flu may last up to 10 days.
If you have the stomach flu, continue reading this article. We will present an amazing natural way to reduce the symptoms using apple cider vinegar. Also, we will show what you should eat afterwards so that you speed up the recovery.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar & Alleviate Stomach Flu
When it comes to viral gastroenteritis, flu shots used against influenza viruses cannot protect you. Moreover, antibiotics are also useless because they are created to fight off bacteria, not viruses.
During a stomach flu, dehydration is the most dangerous consequence because everything is coming out and nothing is going in. watch out for signs like dry mouth, excessive thirst, sunken and dry eyes, reduced urination, and lightheadedness.
Drinking water will help with the hydration of the body; however, it does not compensate for the lost electrolytes. This is why over-the-counter electrolytes can help. Avoid sports drinks due to their abundance in sugar.
What to Eat During Stomach Flu?
If you can, do your best to eat something during the flu. This will nourish and hydrate your body.
Here are some suggestions:
- Suck ice chips if you cannot keep liquids (not recommendable for children)
- Drink herbal tea like ginger, peppermint, and chamomile
- Drink apple cider vinegar combined with water to calm down the stomach
- Consume turmeric which has been found to lower intestinal inflammation
- Try rice water- an ancient remedy for upset stomach. To prepare it, boil 2 tbsp of brown or white rice in one cup of water. Once the rice softens, remove it from heat and strain it through a sieve. Drink the liquid by sipping it slowly.
Avoid these Foods during Stomach Flu
- Dairy-hard to digest and causes mucus formation
- Fatty foods- hard on the stomach
- Spicy foods- may worsen the stomach’s sensitivity
- Dietary fiber because they may irritate the digestive tract
- Alcohol- acidic and may worsen stomach inflammation
- Sugar- it also triggers inflammation
- Processed foods- may make the digestive processes worse
- Acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits
Apple Cider Vinegar Helps Reduce Stomach Flu
Combine a tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a tbsp of honey with 1 cup of warm water. Drink it twice per day- once in the morning and once in the evening.