If it is not uncommon for you to toss and turn for hours before you fall asleep and wake up tired in the morning, you should know that there are powerful homemade remedies with honey that can be your salvation. Honey will help you get the needed rest and energy for a successful day.
How to Cope with Insomnia and Restless Sleep?
Sometimes, when you are unable to fall asleep at night, it could be a sign that your glucose levels have reduced, which has further caused a stress response in the brain. In a lot of situations, people usually reach for over-the-counter sleeping pills; however, they come with serious side effects, so you should always try a natural solution first, of course, always in consultation with your physician.
The Power of Honey
According to natural medicine, honey can be the best ally in fighting off insomnia. This is an easily-affordable, safe, and effective method which has been used for millennia. To illustrate, since the middle ages, Europeans have been drinking warm milk and honey mixture before bed to improve their sleep until this day.
As noted by Mike Mc Innis, a pharmacist, researcher, and author from Scotland, when taken before bed, honey betters and lengthens the sleep by improving the blood sugar levels, regulating the glycogen storing in the liver, and encouraging the secretion of melatonin. Mc Innis describes the honey-insulin-melatonin or the HYMN cycle in detail:
- The glucose from honey goes through the gut and liver and enters in the general circulation, thus, causing a minimal glucose spike
- The increased, mild blood sugar triggers a controlled secretion of insulin from the pancreas
- Insulin then carries tryptophan to the brain
- In the brain, tryptophan is transformed into serotonin and the body and mind become more relaxed
- In the pineal gland, serotonin is then turned into melatonin
- Melatonin is known to decrease the body’s temperature and cause sleep, avert higher secretion of insulin from the pancreas that can cause sudden and strong sugar spikes, and trigger the growth hormone secretion
Recipe for Honey and Himalayan Salt Mixture
5 tbsp or organic honey
A tbsp of Himalayan salt
Preparation: In a small jar, mix the two ingredients well.
Use: Before going to sleep, put ½ tsp of the remedy under the tongue and leave it to dissolve.
Other Honey-Based Cures for Insomnia
- 2 tbsp of honey and a glass of warm milk before bed
- A tsp of honey and a cup of peppermint tea before bed
- 2 oz of honey, 5 drops of lavender oil added to warm bathwater and soak in it for 15 minutes before bed
- A tsp of honey and one cup of chamomile or linden flower tea before bed
- ½ glass of fresh orange juice, ½ glass of lukewarm water, and 2 tsp of honey before bed