Of course, there is no way to be enthusiastic and positive all the time and even if we know such a person, he/she is probably coping with some negative emotions on the inside, but they may be suppressing their genuine emotions.
But, what happens when we complain all the time or have negative views and thoughts about the bad things happening in our lives? Even though it is normal to complain when we are facing a difficult and stressful period in life, negativity may attract additional negativity.
How Complaining Causes Anxiety & Depression?
If you have ever found yourself in a situation which “could not be worse”; believe us, it can! By having negative emotions and views, you can attract more negativity in your life.
Therefore, if you happen to be someone who constantly complains about the cruelty of life and its difficulties or if you know someone close to you who is like that, this needs to change because it takes away positivity.
How to Recognize People Who Complain all the Time
Here is how people with negative energy and feelings look like and behave:
- Constantly complain of having problems and not focusing on finding a solution (complaining is the easier solution)
- They are known as drama kings or queens and they have the tendency to diminish their self-worth. They do this to attract attention and though some of these things may be true, they often exaggerate
- They are unable to keep a good conversation as they are too occupied with the same problems all the time
- They cannot show sincere happiness and joy for other people’s successes in life and they can easily find a way to ruin your day if it does not fit in their expectations
- You constantly listen to their issues while your needs and thoughts are set aside
Replacing Negativity with Positivity
According to Curious Mind Magazine, positive emotions and thoughts will attract more positivity in your life. On the other hand, by constantly seeing the bad side of things, you are at a higher risk of depression, anxiousness, and poor self-esteem.
Namely, our brain is an organ that is in charge for every bodily function, including the regulation of our emotions. This being said, when we think negatively all the time, our brain neurons will start to create a network similar to that of our previous experiences.
To explain, if your focus is on negative emotions and thoughts, criticism, putting other people down, and so on, your brain will begin to react to similar situations. With this in mind, it is vital that we rewire our brain positively. The next time you are having a problem, instead of thinking about the negative sides and complaining about it to family or friends, find the positive aspects and potential solutions.
How to Say Goodbye to Negativity
- Is the thing I am complaining about worth my energy and time?
- Focus on the things you have and what you are grateful for, rather than think about what you do not have
- Accept problems along the way and let go if you cannot solve it- life is too short to be occupied with negative people and things
- When you notice that you are complaining, change the topic and focus on some positive or interesting story that will motivate you
- Be surrounded with positive and happy people who understand the benefits of gratefulness
- Recall positive and happy moments in life
- Do more of the things that make you happy. This can be a hobby, spending time with some people or watching your favorite TV show or reading your favorite book