60-Year-Old Woman Dies in Cake Eating Contest after Choking from Coconut Cake

Without doubt, competitive contests in eating are popular throughout the whole world.

In India, there’s the chilly eating contest and the parantha challenge whereas we often se the burger challenge and the hot-dog challenge in other countries.

However, these contests aren’t all fun and games- especially when the contestants face medical complications.

On the 26th of January 2020, the Beach House Hotel in Hervey Bay held a lamington and pie competition to celebrate the Australia Day.

Unfortunately, one of the participants, a 60-year-old woman, had a seizure and choked while eating cake.

Staff Tries to Revive the Contestant, but Unsuccessfully

The staff immediately tried CPR on the contestant and called the ambulance. The woman was taken to the Hervey Bay Hospital. Sadly, she didn’t make it.

According to the police officials, her death wasn’t suspicious.

The woman choked from the seizure while eating lamington- the national cake of Australia.

This is a traditional dessert of cube-shaped sponge cakes dipped in molten chocolate and with coconut shavings on top.  

The management of the hotel shared their condolences on their official Facebook page.

Also, the bakery which prepared the cake, Top of the Bay Bakery, shared theirs on Facebook and expressed their deep sadness by the tragic incident.

Phone footage shows the group of people eating the cakes. It was broadcasted by Australia’s 9 News. It also shows the security guard and the manager among the first ones to rush and help the woman with CPR.

This Isn’t the First Time Someone Dies on a Food Eating Contest

A 41-year-old man had recently choked to death during a taco-eating contest at a minor league baseball game in Fresno, California.

According to the available information, the contestant was gobbling the tacos too fast without actually chewing the food.

Although they can be very fun, the contestants in food eating contests have to undergo the right training and get to know the medical risks prior to signing up.

Sources:

STORY PICK

BBC

GLOBAL NEWS

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*