Back in 2014, Dave Kerpen, a New York Times best-selling author of the Art of People got a postcard which showed the traits and attitudes of those who’re successful and those who’re not.
It was sent to him by Andy Bailey, the chief executive of Petra Couch, a business coaching service.
Even though they never met officially, the card impressed him and reinforced his values and beliefs, especially about his habits and behaviors that can help him become successful.
Below, check out 10 important things that make all the difference between successful and unsuccessful people!
What Makes Successful People Different from the Unsuccessful
- Successful people don’t fear change, the unsuccessful do
In his post on LinkedIn from 2014, Kerpen said that adapting to change is one of the hardest things for us.
With tech improving daily, we need to embrace changes rather than deny them or fear them. Successful people are good at accepting changes.
- Successful people discuss ideas, the unsuccessful ones talk about others
Gossiping about others leads us nowhere, but discussing ideas brings results.
Sharing them with others makes them even better.
- Successful people accept their responsibilities whereas the unsuccessful ones tend to blame others
A person who’s successful and experienced in business will have all kinds of ups and downs; but they will always admit their faults.
Blaming others for our failures puts these people down and doesn’t bring results. Change begins from ourselves.
- Successful people credit others for their wins whereas the unsuccessful ones take it from them
A successful business person allows others to enjoy in their moments of shine and they know that this will further motivate them to do and be better.
Consequently, they look better as teammates and leaders.
- Successful individuals want people to thrive whereas unsuccessful ones hope they fail
When working with people, to be good, you all need to do well.
This is why successful business people don’t want their teammates to fail, but they motivate them to grow and accomplish more.
- Successful people are always learning; unsuccessful ones think they know it all
In order to grow, privately and professionally, we need to learn all the time.
Flying by the seat of their pants is a trait of unsuccessful people and they’re missing out on so many chances to grow and learn.
- Successful people want to help others; the unsuccessful ask how to help themselves
Offering assistance like ‘how can I help you’ makes you look warmer in the other person’s eyes and they’ll be more inclined to help you as well in case you need it.
If they take up on your offer, make sure you’re able to provide what you offered.
- Successful people ask for the things they want, the unsuccessful ones are afraid of failing
Failure and rejection can cause a lot of fear and this is why a lot of people often shy away from asking what they really want.
By doing this, they believe they can’t get rejected; however, we’re really guaranteed to fail as we’re not even trying to get what we need. A successful person’s mantra is embracing the fear of no and then asking for a yes.
- Successful people are introspective; unsuccessful ones don’t care about it
To be a good influencer and get what you need and want in life and in career, it’s pivotal to work on yourself.
Understand your mood shifters, your unconscious motivations, and how you’re interacting with others.
- Successful people are good listeners; unsuccessful talk a lot
One of the crucial, yet underrated skills in life, social media, and business is listening. Even though listening is quite hard because we get quite excited about our ideas, the less we talk, the easier we can make those people like us and like our ideas.
Successful people are aware of the importance of listening and allowing people to talk as this will help them win them over in business and generally in life.