Dangerous Benadryl Challenge on TikTok Blamed for Teen’s Death

The latest social medial challenge is so dangerous that it caused the tragic death of a teen from Oklahoma City.

Namely, last week, the 15-year-old girl died due to overdose from Benadryl.

Those who cared for the girl described her as a happy and faith-driven teen who wasn’t one to experiment with drugs.

But, she fell victim to the TikTok challenge known as the ‘Benadryl challenge’.

What Kind of a TikTok Trend Is Causing Teens to Die?

The challenge is described as one that makes teens take several pills at once in order to trip out or hallucinate.

Unfortunately, according to Scott Schaeffer, director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information, Scott Schaeffer says that the dose which can trigger hallucination is close to the dose which is possibly life-threatening.

This challenge on the popular video-sharing app TikTok was blamed for hospitalizing at least 3 teens in Fort Worth in Texas back in May.

Shaeffer notes that the educators he collaborates with are spending a lot of time to help parents convince their youngsters that these challenges are harmful.

Unfortunately, a big dose of Benadryl can lead to seizures and cardiovascular problems. The heart’s rhythm gets messed up and unable to pump the blood properly.

It’s Essential that Parents Talk with Their Children about Social Media

This is why all parents have to monitor the use of social media in their children and talk with them regularly.

Although it may be a difficult conversation, it’s important for parents to do it, explains the KFOR Digital Content Editor Kari King.

The family and friends of the deceased girl hope to avert this tragedy from happening into other families.

Sources:

KXAN

WFLA

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*