Even though daily exposure to the sunrays is pivotal for a good health, especially for our vitamin D levels, overexposure can be problematic and lead to numerous health problems, especially skin ones. Hence, in order to protect the body from sunburns, we should not use the store-bought sunscreens, but we should make our own, free-of-toxins sunscreen like the one we decided to present in today’s article. It is made with a powerful superfood known as coconut oil!
Why Is Coconut Oil Good for the Skin?
When applied topically, coconut oil will keep the skin safe from sunburns and skin cancer. Unprocessed coconut oil will not entirely block the UVB rays which are crucial for the synthesis of vitamin D. It will avert tissue damage and it will not cause the skin to burn and turn red, but it will help you acquire a light tan. Let us take a look at the recipe below!
Homemade Sunscreen with Coconut Oil
You will need:
¼ cup of organic coconut oil
¼ cup of shea butter
1/8 cup of jojoba or sesame oil
2 tbsp of beeswax
1 tbsp of zinc oxide powder
A tsp of red raspberry seed oil
Some essential oil of your choosing (rosemary, vanilla, lavender…)
Preparation: In a double boiler, melt the coconut and sesame or jojoba oil, the beeswax, and the shea butter. When they have nicely blended, remove the content from the heat and leave it to cool down to room temperature. Add the zinc oxide and then put the content into the fridge for 15 minutes. Then, take it out and whip it and start adding the raspberry oil and the essential oils. Mix until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Transfer it in a mason jar and store it in the fridge.
Use: Apply it onto the body as you would apply a regular sunscreen.
Important to note:
- This sunscreen is safe for the whole family, but make sure it is not ingested by children
- Beeswax will give the sunscreen water-repellent characteristics
- The essential oils will provide a pleasant and enjoyable smell
- A small amount of this body butter sunscreen goes a long way
- You can find all of the ingredients in your nearest supermarket or healthy food store
- The zinc oxide will keep your skin unharmed by UVA and UVB rays