Tinnitus is a condition characterized by persistent ringing in the ear. The sufferer perceives noise or ringing in the ears or hears sounds in the ears without any external sounds present. This is a major issue for around 1 to 5 percent of the worldwide population and up to 15 percent of all children and adults will probably experience ear ringing at least occasionally.
Some medical experts believe that this is not a condition, but rather a symptom of an underlying issue that impacts the nerves near the ears and the auditory sensations. For many people with tinnitus, the symptoms may come and go away as the brain and ears adjust. But, for others, it may last for years and lead to numerous other complications.
In order to lower the symptoms and the unpleasant ongoing buzzing or ringing in the ears, it is recommendable to avoid the triggers.
Below, you can check out a list with several natural options to relieve the condition. Even though tinnitus cannot be treated; a lot of people get used to it and notice it less than they did before. And, with the help of specific aids and adjustments, the noise becomes less bothersome.
How to Naturally Treat Tinnitus?
- Regularly clean earwax
- Treat underlying blood vessel conditions, if any (with meds, surgery or another appropriate therapy)
- Switch your meds in consultation with your doctor in case they are suspected to be causing the tinnitus
- White noise machine- this device releases simulate environmental sounds like ocean waves or rain and thus, helps cover internal noise
- Wear hearing aids
- Try out masking devices- these devices are put into the ear and release an ongoing white noise that suppresses the ringing
- Tinnitus retraining and counseling- this device contains an individually programmed tonal music which masks the tinnitus frequencies the person experiences, often in combination with counseling
- Stay away from potential irritants like nicotine, caffeine, and loud noises
- Cover up the noise- you can use a fan or soft music to mask the ringing
- Cope with stress and learn how to manage it because it may worsen the ringing; do yoga, meditate, practice breathing techniques, and exercise on a regular basis
- Avoid alcohol- alcohol increases the blood’s force by spreading the blood vessels and elevating the blood flow, particularly in the inner ear area