This Young Girl, 2 Years after Being Shot in the Head, Walked Proudly as the Homecoming Queen

According to her mother, Deserae Turner is the most determined person she’s ever known.

This girl, a Utah high school student, transformed tragedy into triumph after they crowned her the homecoming queen in her school. This happened 2 years after she got a shot in the head and was left for dead.

At the age of 17, the lady was full of joy as she walked on the football field in the Green Canyon High School, escorted by her dad.

She had a wide smile, and proudly wore her tiara, sash, and a beautiful gray tulle dress with jewels.

She said she was so proud to be chosen by the student body to be their Homecoming Queen.

Girl Who Was Shot for Dead Walks Proudly as a Homecoming Queen

Deserae said that this experience was like straight out of a fairytale. She felt magical-like she was Cinderella.

This is a dream that came true, although she didn’t know she had it. Her happiness lasted for days.

She also documented her journey to the ‘throne’ on her Facebook account, sharing moments of herself getting ready for the parade and the game. She was humble and thankful throughout the whole process.

She thanked her community and the school that helped her feel like she’s a real Queen. And, she wished that all other girls can experience such an amazing event and feel so loved.

Her mother was in tears watching her walk in all her glory. These were happy tears because it was very special seeing the girl being happy and doing things that other teens do.

Her life is much different because of the horrible thing that happened to her.

Girl Gets Shot in the Head, but Survives & She Is Healing

Unfortunately, in 2017 in February, the girl was shot in the back of the head and left in a ditch in Smithfield by two classmates. They found the girl after 8 hours. The classmates, Jayzon Decker and Colter Peterson were sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.

She had to undergo 13 surgeries since the shot and 10 of them were brain surgeries. For her, it’s wonderful she could suspend the doctor appointments and therapies for a while to feel like a normal teen.

It’s been a real miracle she was even able to walk on the field on her own. She had to relearn everything and now, she has long-term disabilities, left side paralysis, and vision loss.

And, two more surgeries are also scheduled soon.

But, she’s not letting this put her down-she’s dedicated to finishing high school and graduating soon. Her plan is to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and then get a job that involves working as a volunteer or with animals.