Three-day fasting can help regenerate the immunity and reverse damages done to it by chemotherapy, a research done by a team of researchers from the University of Southern California suggests.
Even though fasting has not always been represented positively, this research points out the contrary- starving out the body may boost the production of new white blood cells, essential in the fight against infections.
The Findings of the Research
Valter Long, professor of Gerontology and Biological Sciences at the University of California points out that they could not predict that fasting could have such a strong impact on the stem cell-based regeneration of the hematopoietic system.
He adds that when we starve out the body, it begins to save energy by recycling a lot of the unnecessary immune cells, particularly the ones that can cause damage. When the immunity is renewed, the chance for a longer and healthier life elevate significantly.
Prolonged Fasting: Why It Is so Potent?
- Makes the body use glucose, fat, and ketone storages
- Breaks down white blood cells
- The white blood cell depletion causes changes that lead to stem cell-based regeneration of new immunity cells
- Reduces PKA enzyme production (a hormone linked with higher chance for cancer growth)
- Protects from toxicity damage associated with chemotherapy
Other Amazing Health Advantages of Fasting
As Idea Pod emphasise, here is how fasting can better your health and well-being:
- Loss of weight
- Autophagy-the body will recycle body waste and repair oxidative damage
- Better cognition
Types of Fasting
- Intermittent fasting: prolonged periods of fasts, i.e. fasting for 16 hours and eating in an 8-hour window every day or five days per week
- Prolonged fasting stands for fasting more than two days or 48 hours
Want to learn more about the amazing healing power of intermittent fasting? Make sure you check out the video shown below: