According to some proponents, oregano essential oil is more effective than over-the-counter antibiotics and it does not have any side effects as it is often the case with these meds. Nowadays (more than ever before), antibiotics are prescribed on the daily for all kinds of diseases and a lot of people are also taking antibiotics on their own, without consulting their physicians.
However, excessive consumption of antibiotics may decrease the amount of good bacteria, lead to antibiotic resistance, lower proper vitamin absorption, and damage the lining of the digestive tract and thus, increase the chance for leaky gut. Luckily, there is a powerful and safer alternative to antibiotics, i.e. oregano essential oil.
Continue reading the article to learn more about its healing properties and usage.
The Health Benefits of Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil is made from the flowers and leaves of wild oregano plant. It possesses strong antimicrobial characteristics that are effective in the fight against infections. It is also well-known for its antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties.
It also abundant in phenols, phytochemical compounds with antioxidant property, that is, carvactrol and thymol. More than 800 studies reference carvactrol which is a proof of the oil’s vast healing potential. It also has the capacity to fight off fungus and it can be used as a disinfectant that can destroy different pathogens by penetrating the cell membrane of microbes. Hence, the body has sufficient time to repair and heal its tissues and cells and strengthen the immunity.
Carvacrol has the ability to reverse or alleviate the following health problems:
- Bacterial infections
- Candida overgrowth
- Food poisoning from salmonella, listeria, norovirus
- Fungal infections
The Different Uses of Oregano Oil
- Sore throat- consume a mixture of one glass of water with 3 drops of oregano oil
- Congested nose and lung infections- inhale the vapors from a diffuser or vaporizer with 3 drops of the oil
- Bad breath- add a drop of the oil onto your toothbrush with toothpaste before brushing the teeth (this will destroy the bad bacteria causing the bad breath)
- Strengthens the immunity- before meals, drink a glass of water combined with 3 drops of the oil
- Acne, psoriasis, nail fungus, and cold sores- combine 2 drops of the oil with a capful of aloe vera gel or coconut oil and apply it gently onto the affected area
- Body pain, sore muscles, backache- combine some oregano and olive oil and use it to massage the affected areas for 5 to 10 minutes
Important to note:
- As the oil is rather strong, before consuming it or applying it topically, it needs to be diluted with carrier oils or water
- If you use the oil for internal detoxification, the bacteria being destroyed may cause a reaction to the toxins which may cause you to experience headaches, nausea, and fatigue. If this happens, remember to drink a lot of water and stop with the consumption of the oil. The next time, reduce the amount