As many of you probably already know, mushrooms are one of the healthiest foods in the world. But, what you may not have known is that they are often used as a powerful natural remedy.
Believe it or not, ancient Egyptians referred to mushrooms as the ‘plants of immortality’. And, as human beings, we are related to the kingdom of fungi than with any other kingdom. Why is this so? Because the essential molecules they contain have been present in our diet for such a long period of time that now are bodies require them for optimal health. Amazing, right?
According to estimates, 50 percent of edible mushrooms are functional foods, i.e. they have a possible positive influence on our health beyond nutrition. Numerous studies have discovered the ways in which mushrooms can be of aid in the prevention and treatment of serious health problems and in bettering the overall health.
The Amazing Nutritional Profile of Mushrooms
- Low in calories
- Rich in protein and fiber
- Vitamins B
- Vitamin D
How to Add Mushrooms to Your Diet?
Best way to consume them is cooked- in different sautés, soups, and as meat replacements. Opt for white, cremini, oyster, Portobello, reishi, maitake, and other edible types of fungi.
Take into account that some wild mushrooms are not for consumption and are actually toxic to human beings. Therefore, unless you have been trained to identify wild mushrooms, do not pick them up and eat them.
Feel free to also use dried mushrooms and mushroom powders. Though fresh mushrooms are the best way to reap all of their benefits, these powders definitely ease the consumption. Sprinkle them on different kinds of meals for optimal effect.
The Best Health Benefits of Mushrooms
- Shiitake mushrooms on a daily basis can strengthen the immune system
- Eating mushrooms may avert respiratory infections
- Mushrooms can improve the health of the good gut bacteria and can help fight off obesity
- Mushrooms like oyster, maitake, shiitake, porcini, and lion’s mane are abundant in antioxidants which can protect your cells from free radicals
- Mushrooms have the power to better the digestion because they are prebiotics
Before heading out, do not forget to check out the video below and learn how to prepare your a delicious and healthy mushroom meal: