Have you ever taken Xanax or Valium to calm down and sleep better? Did you felt hung over or woozy the following day? According to a study published in the BMJ Journal, the use of benzodiazepine may contribute to dementia.
During the study, the risk of Alzheimer’s was higher in participants who took higher benzodiazepine dosages. These meds are particularly risky for elderly because they can make them confused and slow down their mental processes.
To stop poisoning your body, but still be able to fight off with anxiousness and depression, use St. John’s wort instead! It is completely natural, yet it has amazing relaxing properties.
St. John’s Wort: A Natural Remedy for Anxiety & Depression?
According to a recent study done by a team of experts at the St James’ University Hospital in Leeds, UK, this plant can be highly beneficial in alleviating symptoms of depression and anxiety. Among other herbal supplements, i.e. ginseng, cat’s claw, and gingko biloba, St. John’s wort was found to be the most effective one.
For centuries, this plant has been a part of alternative medicine and most of its uses are for reducing anxiety and helping with other mental health issues. Believe it or not, in Germany, this plant is regularly prescribed by doctors to relieve depression and anxiety.
The plant has numerous other healing properties, including the power to lower inflammation, remove surplus liquids, and balance the metabolism.
Hypercin, a compound in St. John’s wort is capable of alleviating depression and anxiety. You can use it to prepare tea, tincture or an extract.
How to Use St. John’s Wort According to Alternative Medicine
- As a natural sedative in case of headaches and insomnia
- It can help with destroying bad bacteria thanks to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory capacity
- Since it contains bioflavonoids, it can be of great aid for those that have problems with swollen veins
- It can help you alleviate joint swelling and inflammation and minimize pain
- Its topical application can help sooth burns, wounds, and mastitis
- It can offer relief from premenstrual and menstrual symptoms
- This plant will help you enhance your appetite, regenerate the tissues, and relax the muscles
- Great natural cleanser for oily skin, skin prone to acne, and dry skin