The Daniel Fast is considered by many to be one of the best healing therapies that can bring the physical, spiritual, and emotional health to a new level.
Fasting is abstaining from foods, drinks or entertainment for a specific amount of time in order to better the mind, spirit and body health.
There are numerous types of fasts and some of the most common ones are the standard fast (water only), the absolute fast (no food and no water), the partial fast (specific foods and drinks), and the intermittent fast (eating during a small window).
Nowadays, the Daniel Fast has gained a lot of popularity. It’s a type of fast which is considered to be beneficial for the body, but for the mind and spirit too.
The Daniel Fast Explained
The Daniel Fast isn’t only based on the foods Jesus ate, but is also based on what one of his followers consumed. Namely, this fast is based on the dietary and spiritual experiences of the prophet Daniel according to the Book of Daniel in the Bible.
This partial fast is focused on veggies and other whole foods and it excludes animal protein sources.
This biblically-based fast is usually followed for 21 days in a row. Below, check out the food list for this particular fast.
The Food List for the Daniel Fast
During the fast, you can eat/drink the following ingredients:
- Filtered water, spring or distilled are best choices
- Homemade almond milk
- Coconut water
- Coconut kefir
- DIY veggie juices
- Fresh or cooked veggies
- Frozen and cooked, not canned
- Moderate amount of fruits, preferably with low GI, may be frozen, but not canned
- Whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, barley, etc. in moderation
- Salt- and additive-free beans and legumes
- Raw, sprouted or dry-roasted and salt-free seeds and nuts
During the fast, it’s recommendable to avoid the following foods:
- Iodized salt
- Crackers, cookies
- Baked goods
- Energy drinks
- Candies, gums, and mints
Daniel Fast Health Benefits
- Spiritual benefits- feeling closer to God, more sensitive to God’s voice, less bad habits and addictions, awareness of weakness and relying on God’s strength
- Mental and emotional benefits- less anxiety, more peace, a mind free of negative emotions and thoughts, less brain fog, higher ability to trust in God, less toxins causing depression
- Physical benefits- breaking sugar addictions, body cleanse, healthy loss of weight, increase in energy, healthier skin, healthier digestion, healthier inflammatory response, hormonal balance