As emphasized on Healthy Food House, processed meat is one of the major reasons for the higher rate of cancer among children. Statistics from the National Cancer Institute points out that around 1500 children in the U.S. die from cancer on a yearly basis.
Healthy Holistic Living mention an article from L.A. times which claims that hot dogs are to blame for the increase in cancer among children. Namely, the article suggests that children who consume more than 12 hot dogs on a monthly basis have a 9 times higher risk of developing leukemia. Two other reports explain that newborns of mothers who consumed at least one hot dog every week during their pregnancy have twice the risk of brain tumors. This goes for children whose fathers also consumed hot dogs prior to conception too.
Do Not Allow Your Children to Eat Hot Dogs
Hot dogs are highly processed food which is full of additives and preservatives that have been linked to cancer and numerous other illnesses too. For example, the popular Oscar Mayer hot dogs contain the following ingredients:
- Mechanically separated turkey
- Mechanically separated chicken
- Sodium lactate
- Corn syrup
- Sodium phosphates
- Sodium diacetate
- Sodium nitrite
- Sodium ascorbate
According to Peter Clifton, professor of nutrition at the University of South Australia, an abundance of scientific evidence proves that processed meat is not good for us. This food elevates one’s risk of diabetes, heart illnesses, and death. Mariana Stern, a cancer epidemiologist at the University of California explains that no matter from where the nitrates come, they are transformed into nitrites by oral bacteria and in the stomach; they contribute to the formation of N-Nitroso compounds, well-known cancerous substances.
Americans Eat a Lot of Hot Dogs
Unfortunately, despite the ongoing research showing the dangers of processed meats, especially hot dogs, this remains the favorite fast food of Americans and statistics shows that they eat around 20 billion hot dogs on a yearly basis. They also eat high amounts of cold cuts, bacon, and other processed meat products.
However, a daily serving of processed meat elevates your chance of premature death by 20 percent, a study done at the Harvard School of Public Health shows.
Following a diet abundant in processed meats makes you more prone to colorectal cancer and one study concluded that processed red meat increases the chance for prostate cancer by 10 percent with every 10 grams of increased consumption.
Ditch the Hot Dogs & Eat Healthy
Try to avoid consuming hot dogs as much as possible and control what your children eat. Avoid putting cold turkey or bacon in sandwiches and read labels.
And, try out these healthy meal prep tips that are easily prepared, but are rich in nutritious substances that are good for you. Let us take a look:
- You can acquire protein from plant-based sources, not just from meat. Some of these foods are: watercress, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, bok choy, asparagus, mustard greens, broccoli and so on.
- When you are craving bacon, opt for dulse, a type of seaweed which people claim it tastes exactly like bacon when cooked.
- Make your child homemade peanut butter sandwiches for school. Use raw and organic peanut butter or homemade almond or cashew butter and top it off with banana slices and sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
- Make a batch of chia seed pudding and you will be prepared for the next few days. Keep it in the fridge and when serving, top it off with berries, coconut chips, or some pumpkin seeds. Yummy!
Before heading out, do not forget to check out the video below to learn why you need to stop eating hot dogs once and for all: