Several hundreds of millions of years ago, sea salt beds were covered by lava (now they are deep in the Himalayans). This has kept them in a clean surrounding with snow and ice throughout the years and it is also believed to have kept them safe from pollution.
This is why Himalayan pink salt is known as the cleanest salt on earth; and, it is hand-mined from mountains and then packed for sale.
Why Does the Salt Have a Pink Color?
The red, white, and pink hues are a sign that the salt is abundant in numerous minerals and iron. Similarly to the minerals and vitamins fruits and veggies, the minerals present in this salt work synergistically (the mutual effect is much greater than their individual effects).
Why You Need to Consume Himalayan Salt?
Replacing table salt with this salt can be highly beneficial for your overall health. If you still have doubts, make sure you check out the list shown below comprised of the best advantages of Himalayan salt:
- Natural salts such as this one are abundant in iodine; therefore, there is no need of artificially adding it as it is the case with table salt.
- This salt has the same elements as table salt; however, as its crystal structure is larger (crystals), this salt contains less sodium per a quarter of tsp. This is because the crystals take up less space on a tsp than the tiny salt grains of refined salt.
- The mineral-rich crystals of this salt are formed naturally within the earth and are abundant in sodium chloride and other important trace minerals like potassium, bromide, borate, calcium, fluoride, etc. These minerals allow this salt to balance the electrolytes in the body, boost the hydration, balance the pH, avert muscle cramps, enhance the metabolism, strengthen the bones, minimize the risk of goiter, and improve the blood flow.
The Differences between Pink & Sea Salt
Although pink salts come from mountains, they are also sea salts because all salt originates from a salted water body, i.e. an ocean or a lake.
Why You Should Not Consume Table Salt
Refined salt is deprived of all its minerals, besides chloride and sodium, and during the manufacturing, it goes through a chemical process of cleaning, heating, and bleaching at high temperatures. It is also treated with anti-caking agents that avert the mixing of salt with water in the container.
Hence, these agents also disable the dissolving within our bodies and thus, deposit in the organs and tissues, increasing the risk of health-related complications. Manufacturers also add synthetic iodine which our bodies cannot process adequately.
Amazing Ways in Which You Can Use Himalayan Pink Salt
- For cooking and curing
- As salt slabs- serving platters; chilled, frozen or heated (Himalayan salt slabs are an excellent method for proper heat distribution)
- For decorative means- the salts can be placed in containers, sprinkled on top of food or used as decor crystals
- Add it to bathwater- the nutrients from the salt will better your blood flow and alleviate sore muscles; this is a healing experience for both the body and mind
- As an air purifier- Himalayan pink salt lamps are not just a great way to induce relaxation, but they can also help cleanse the air in the area where they are placed