Nothing better than a juicy and refreshing watermelon slice during hot summer days, right?
Besides being delicious and watery, watermelon is also one of the healthiest fruits in the world and it should definitely be a part of a healthy diet. However, most people only use only the fleshy part and throw away the rind. But, according to Health and Love Page, this is a big mistake because the rind is a real nutritional powerhouse!Namely, did you know that approximately 95 percent of the nutritional value of watermelons comes from their rind, according to BaBa Mail.
Therefore, the next time you cut up a watermelon, make sure you keep the rind. Below, check out the major health advantages of consuming the rind of watermelon. You will be positively surprised, for sure!
Why We Need to Eat more Watermelon Rind
- It is rich in vitamins A, B6, and C
- It is abundant in important minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and zinc
- Watermelon rind will supply your body with lycopene- a pivotal antioxidant
- It contains citrulline, an amino acid which is highly effective in maintain the health and strength of the muscles; it can also decrease anxiety and soothe the nerves
- It contains a lot of fiber which is known to be the best ally to people who want to or need to lose weight
- It acts as a natural diuretic as it is rich in water- it will assist the body in expelling all harmful and stuck toxins
- Its potassium is excellent for the kidneys because it will balance the acid levels in the urine and eliminate any stones in them
- Pregnant women should know that watermelon rind can lower heartburn and swelling; moreover, its natural sugars will decrease the chance for morning sickness
- Regular consumption of watermelon rind will balance your blood pressure and boost the blood flow
How to Consume Watermelon Rind?
- Slice it into smaller pieces and use these pieces as ingredient for smoothies
- You can combine it with tuna or salads
- Goes great with meat such as turkey
Before heading out, do not forget to check out the video shown below to learn more about why you need to add watermelon rind to your daily diet: