A body with an acidic pH has a much higher chance of diseases with the lungs, brain, bones, liver, heart, stomach, kidneys, skin, and intestines. Also known as acidosis, when the body lacks alkalinity, it becomes the ideal environment for bad bacteria to thrive.
This further elevates the inflammation, one of the major causes for a lot of health problems. And, to make things worse, the standard American diet is doing us no good- it chronically keeps the body in a state of acidosis.
Why Is Acidosis Bad for Our Health?
In an acidic body, important minerals are being removed from organs and bones in order to neutralize the surplus acid and expel it from the body. This is why today there is a rise in osteoporosis patients, i.e. the bones are deprived of their minerals that keep them safe and healthy, including sodium, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. When the reserves are depleted, the body’s acidity will only rise and elevate the chance for cancer.
Acidic Foods Contribute to Acidity
These are the most acidic foods most of us consume on a regular basis:
- Processed foods
- Refined sugar
- Sugar replacement
When we consume acidic foods, the body’s metabolism processes them and creates acidic waste. This waste needs to be neutralized or removed and this is where alkaline foods are needed- they have the power to neutralize acidity. But, how can we know if our body is acidic or not? Check out the major symptoms in the following section to find out more.
Major Indicators of an Acidic Body
- Sinus problems
- Pain in the chest
- Surplus mucus
- Neurological conditions like Parkinson’s
- Poor mental clarity
- Cardiovascular damage
- Skin problems like acne, rashes, and eczema
- Digestion issues like acid reflux, bloating, and gas
- Yeast infections and candida overgrowth
- Weight gain
- Stiff neck
- Sensitive gums
- Painful muscles and joint ache
Though the body has the capacity to adjust its own pH; this process happens at a price. Namely, the tissues and fluids in the body are alkaline, except the stomach. When the body’s acidity elevates, tissues start taking alkaline-forming elements from different body parts and reduce their optimality. This being said, other bodily systems suffer when the body tries to adjust the acidity-alkalinity balance. Continue reading the article to learn how to boost your pH naturally…
10 Useful Tips to Fight Off Acidity
- Consume sufficient water on the daily to help the body expel toxins faster and more efficiently
- Reduce your consumption of acidic foods to a minimum (dairy, pastries, meat, coffee, soda, eggs, popcorn, soy, seafood, alcohol, sweeteners, white vinegar, wheat products, and fish)
- Boost your consumption of fruits and veggies, as well as salads, and smoothies
- Meditate or practice yoga to reduce the stress- negative emotions like fear and anger contribute to acidity
- Stay away from GMO foods
- Eat more greens, as they are highly alkalizing. You can consume them in the form of salads, green juices, and smoothies.
- Eat beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds in moderation. They are considered a mildly acidifying food, but they also come with several health benefits. For this reason, it’s not necessary to completely avoid them, but to eat them in moderation and pair them with alkalizing foods.
- Consume more chlorella, spirulina and wheatgrass