Even though it originates from Asia, grapefruit is nowadays cultivated and available worldwide, including the US, Brazil, and Israel. Besides being tasty and juicy, grapefruit is a potent natural remedy because of its antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, diuretic, and disinfectant properties.
Plus, it contains a lot of beneficial nutrients and phytochemicals which improve the overall health. Since the 30s, this fruit has been linked with numerous diets. Continue reading the article to learn more about this amazing fruit and its healing potential.
Grapefruit Juice: Lowers Blood Sugar & Encourages Weight Loss
In a study with lab animals, it was concluded that the group of mice who was given grapefruit juice weighed 18 percent less than the other group who was not given this juice. Moreover, the first group also experienced more balanced blood glucose, insulin, and triglyceride levels unlike those that were given solely water.
In a different study, there were two groups of participants and one group was given metformin, a medication used for glucose reduction in type 2 diabetes and the other group was given narginin, a substance from grapefruit which gives its bitter taste.
The researchers concluded that both substances led to the same blood results. This indicates that grapefruit juice can be beneficial in the regulation of blood sugar, same as over-the-counter meds, according to one of the researchers, Professor Joseph Napoli.
Important to note:
Before deciding to consume grapefruit juice, make sure you consult your physician. This is because it can counteract the effect of certain meds you may be taking.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit Juice
- Abundant in glycosides that help improve the digestion, the heart function, and minimize the risk of atherosclerosis or arterial hardening
- Abundant in important vitamins, including vitamins B1, C, D, and P (flavonoids)
- Betters the metabolism and alleviate tiredness
- Minimizes the blood pressure and improves the weight loss process
- Highly recommendable for people with liver problems
- It lowers the chance for myocardial infarction and diabetes
- It helps balance the blood pressure, especially in women in menopause